[lca-announce] Call for volunteers

linux.conf.au Announcements lca-announce at lists.linux.org.au
Tue Dec 19 10:08:49 AEDT 2017

Each year we call on volunteers to help make linux.conf.au awesome and
this year is no exception!

If you’ve volunteered before and want to do so again, all the details
are at https://linux.conf.au/attend/volunteer -- If you haven't
volunteered for the conference before or curious what it is all about
then please read on.

The core organising team are all volunteers themselves, and while we
have gotten things to where they are right now we can’t run the
conference on our own - particularly during the week of the conference
itself.

We need help to:
* check attendees in when they arrive
* operate AV equipment such as audio gear and cameras
* direct people around the venue
* ensure our rooms run to schedule
* set up and pack down the conference

Anyone who has been a volunteer before will tell you that it’s an
extremely busy but worthwhile time. It’s rewarding to know that you’ve
helped everybody at the conference to get the most out of it. There's
nothing quite like knowing that you've made a difference.

You don't just get to meet the delegates and speakers, you get to know
many of them while helping them as well. You get a unique opportunity to
get behind the scenes and close to the action. You can forge new
relationships with amazing, interesting, wonderful people you might not
ever get the chance to meet any other way.

In return for your help we'll provide:
* morning and afternoon tea
* lunch
* a clean shirt each day
* and if you ask nicely we might even write you a letter of reference at
the end of the week

Depending on the number of volunteers and workload, we'll also try our
best to schedule things to let volunteers go to their favourite talks.

For more information, please visit
https://linux.conf.au/attend/volunteer -- we have full details of what
we need from our volunteers. We review and approve applications
regularly.

Regards

Bruce Crawley, James Polley and the LCA2018 Team