[Grants] Grant Application from Kelsie Nabben for TPP (The Privacy Project)

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Mon Aug 19 10:54:44 AEST 2019

Hi Kelsie

Thanks for the additional information you provided to Kathy.  I thought I'd
pick up on the last part of the response regarding the funding amount.

In the initial grant application it was stated:

> Our initial pilot is in Melbourne in collaboration with Digital Rights
> Watch, to train a cohort of journalists who have requested support to do
> their job effectively.
>
> Estimated cost breakdown of the project: 1.  Website hosting, private
> platform & maintenance (developer time for updates): $200 per month
>
> 2. Establish NGO entity to be able to receive donations and offer tax
> receipts (have pro bono law firm in Melbourne for this): $847.
>
> 3. Workshop delivery (face-to-face): venue and catering: $2000 (estimated
> 1 per month to begin.  To cover the initial pilot would be amazing).
>
> 4. Communications management (ad channels to reach NGOs/activists needing
> support): $500 per month
>
> Total: $2700 per month + $847.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 09:27:48PM +1000, the response to Kathy included the
following.

> I agree that entity creation should be post the initial pilot.
>
> > Funding amount
> It would be helpful to better understand the funding amount, duration and
> type/s of support Linux Australia is interested in considering.
>
> Ideally, Linux Australia can support TPP according to pre-agreed milestones
> for a period of 12 months until it reaches financial sustainability. Happy
> to discuss our 3, 6 and 12 month objectives and explore potential
> milestones.

My reading of this is that the cost of $2700 per month ($32400) covers the
initial pilot, with the addtional $847 being associated with entity
creation which would come after the pilot completes.  Thus item 2 in the
cost breakdown really comes after all the others as far as execution order
is concerned.

I am not clear as to how long the pilot is indended to run - will it be 12
months?

Assuming the cost breakdown relates to the pilot, how different do you think
the monthly costs will look when the organisation is fully operational?

Will you be pursing sustainable funding sources during the course of the
pilot, or is this dependent on the outcome of the pilot?

It is worth noting that the 12 month total ($32400) is almost all of the
$35000 allocated for the grant program.  To this end, it would be helpful if
you could briefly outline your 3 and 6 month objectives prior to LA
Council's discussion of this grant application on 27 August.  This gives the
community and council some alternatives to consider in the event that the
full 12 month funding amount is not deemed possible.

Regards
  jonathan