[Grants] Grant Application from Kelsie Nabben for TPP (The Privacy Project)

Kelsie Na kelsie.nabben at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 21:27:48 AEST 2019

Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Please see answers below in
order to continue the conversation.

> Culture of collaboration
In navigating the communities and services on privacy, there exists solid
resources in terms of online repositories, policy work, lobbying and
meetups. TPP seeks to solve a need gap on tailored, face-to-face training
for grassroots groups.
TPP has been warmly received in the conversations we've had with existing
organisations in the space, with an attitude that the more volunteers and
resources, the better. Some would consider fragmentation and collaboration
as fundamental and a good thing in the open-source space.

To your point on re-usable material for sustained impact, based on our
research, there exists excellent online resources (e.g. Access Now) but a
need to help people to get started with these materials. Furthermore, there
is a lack of feedback loops in engaging the technology community to better
understand end-user contexts. We hope that TPP enables better coordination
between groups in this way.

> Entity creation & sustainable funding model
The primary motivation for creating a seperate entity is to apply for DGR
status so donors can receive tax deductibility. Other organisations we've
spoken to in the space in Australia do not have this.

We've carefully considered donation funding avenues with the aim of not
creating competition for the same funders as other organisations in the
space (often-times technologists). TPP is focused on philanthropy, social
enterprise funding and CSR.

TPP activities aim to be collaborative and avoid duplication but are not
dependent on Linux, DRW, or other third-party organisations for support.

I agree that entity creation should be post the initial pilot.

> Funding amount
It would be helpful to better understand the funding amount, duration and
type/s of support Linux Australia is interested in considering.

Ideally, Linux Australia can support TPP according to pre-agreed milestones
for a period of 12 months until it reaches financial sustainability. Happy
to discuss our 3, 6 and 12 month objectives and explore potential
milestones.

Thanks,

Kelsie.

Thanks,