[Grants] Inquiry regarding a possible application from CAcert

Linux Australia President president at linux.org.au
Tue Oct 23 12:39:19 AEDT 2018

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out and for your enquiry.

The main question I'd have here, with no offence or disrespect intended,
is whether CAcert as an organisation still has relevance given the rise
of Let's Encrypt, which is also open source. While CAcert has in the
past provided a very valuable service, the need for a self-signed cert
now that LE is available is less present.

Does CAcert in Australia or internationally have a strategic plan we
could look at?

That would allow us to get a clearer picture of where the organisation
is going, how it aligns with the broader open source ecosystem and so on
- and then we'll be better placed to advise whether pursuing a grant is
going to be a useful course.

The entire open source community is always welcome to post information
to our main list, linux-aus;

http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/

Kind regards,

Kathy

On 22/10/18 12:12 pm, Brian McCullough wrote:
> Dear Grants Group,
>
> As current President of CAcert, an organisation based in Sydney,
> Australia for the past fifteen years, we are considering approaching you
> for assistance in two things.
>
> The first is our goal of strengthening and increasing our membership in
> Australia, through attendance at both local groups and conferences in
> Australia, showing users the benefits of a well-authenticated,
> world-wide, user-driven cost-free Certificate System, supported with a
> strong Web of Trust.  Our membership in Australia numbers more than
> 5,000, while our world-wide authenticated, or assured, membership, at
> present, numbers over 124,000.  Our approach to increasing membership
> would involve preparing various advertising and promotional materials
> such as a banner, signs and brochures, describing and promoting CAcert
> to Australian Linux users.  Beyond personal appearances, other methods
> could include social media.
>

> The second is to help support our members in Australia, and world-wide,
> by helping fund the infrastructure that they depend upon.
>

> For these reasons, we are considering approaching you for a grant, but
> are inquiring before doing so, to determine whether this could fit your
> criteria.
>

> If you have any comments or suggestions, I would be very glad to receive
> those.
>

> Brian McCullough
> President, CAcert, Inc.

Kathy Reid