[Debian-au] How to use /etc/init.d/networking with Optus-supplied password?

Astrid Nova astridnova at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:58:20 AEDT 2018

I am staying at a friend's house and have to use his Optus ISP to connect
to the Internet. Optus requires that a supplied password be used to
connect, something like:

GHIUOKGHDSHGQW6543

Whilst my partner was able to connect with her Micro$oft laptop, I am not
able to work out how to connect my Ubuntu Linux desktop.

I could be mistaken, but it seems likely that the script
/etc/init.d/networking is what can do this for me. It seems that the
command ifup called from within this script may be the means to do this. If
I am right, then should the password be somehow passed to ifup as a
parameter? How do I do this?

Or is this not even close to the correct way to connect?

Thank you,

Astrid