[Debian-au] Miniconf AU/NZ 2105 at LCA in Auckland, January 2015

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Tue Apr 22 20:21:17 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 15:23 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On 18 April 2014 20:04, Andrew Ruthven <andrew at etc.gen.nz> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 14:16 +1000, Angus Lees wrote:
> >> I suggest we have the "private" day one day before miniconfs and the
> >> second "public" day alongside the other miniconfs.
> > I'd expect we'd submit a miniconf to LCA, but having a contingency plan
> > incase we aren't accepted.
>
> Any particular ideas of what would be going on during the day/s? Maybe
> it would be more interesting to do something project oriented (like
> the arduino or rocketry miniconfs) than talks? Random ideas I'd find
> interesting:
>
>  - freedom box hacking (novena should be out by then...)

Cool.

>  - jessie RC bug squash
>      -- should be in hard freeze by then according to
> https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html

Yup.

>  - introductory session to help people learn how to package, get their
> favourite software packaged, become DMs, become DDs

I think this would be good to run during an LCA miniconf if we can.

> Might also be interesting/good to have some pre-arranged resources:
>
>  - local mirror
>  - routers/dreamplugs/novena boards for freedom box hacking/installs
>  - ec2 test instances for automated building/testing of packages?

There is a mirror in Wellington, not complete and by the time of LCA it
might add in the rest of the architectures (only has i386 and amd64).

I might be able to arrange some OpenStack backed VMs in country
(possibly even in Auckland if I have my way). And I expect that James
can arrange some ec2 VMs, but not in country. ;)

Freedom Box capable devices, including gear that people could buy and
take home would be great.

> Might be worth calling private/non-miniconf time a "sprint" along the
> lines of what PyCon have --
> https://us.pycon.org/2014/community/sprints/   Maybe it would be
> interesting to have more than just one day and coordinate with the
> OpenStack guys so there could be a few sprints to choose between for
> two or three days before/after lca?

Yup, sounds reasonably. I must admit I was aiming to have the
minidebconf before LCA in the hope that the OpenStack one would be
afterwards so I can attend both!

Cheers,
Andrew

--