[Debian-au] Re: [LACTTE] Re: Debian monies within Australia

Benj. Mako Hill accountant at debian.org
Sun Jul 27 21:16:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:08:58AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:05:02PM +1000, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > I believe we're still rather in the "sorting this all out" stage -
> > > although there is interest from several other groups as well. Anand I
> > > think was the one checking out stuff with our bank - any news?
> > Yes. However first we need to decide if we wish to take donations and,
> > as Mako points out, if we do it may be more useful to do this on behalf
> > of SPI rather than just Debian.
> >
> > Let's put this on the agenda for our meeting this week and discuss it
> > then.

Please let me know how this turns out.

> Hi, I'd like to offer myself to be involved in this in whatever
> manner the LA board thinks is appropriate (eg, as a well known
> Australian Debian-ite to lend some moral authority, or doing boring
> accounting/treasury stuff). From discussions at debcamp with mako
> (SPI/Debian) and tbm (Debian Project Leader), it seems like the best
> way to do things is to collect money on behalf of Debian, and give
> regular reports of available moneys (and incoming and outgoing
> funds) to both Debian and SPI on a regular basis. Mako's both an SPI
> board member and the "Debian accountant", so this really amounts to
> much the same thing.
>
> Accepting cheques made out to "Linux Australia" and marked for
> Debian and counting them separately to l.c.a and other funds; and
> authorising expenditures to be made based on the usual Debian
> expenditure process (which is either on the advice of the project
> leader, or by general resolution, although the latter has never
> actually happened) would probably be all that's necessary; and
> shouldn't actually require anything from the bank.

This sounds both easy enough and something we could just start doing
right away.

In terms of the longer terms, I'm interested in pushing through some
sort of "associate organization" status through SPI as a way of
lending some "officialness" to the process and perhaps of creating
accountability from legal and PR perspectives. I think will only be a
good thing in terms of encouraging donations and professionalism for
this entire process.

In any case, thanks for your help and your offer.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benj. Mako Hill