[Chlug] Cyclone Nargis: Save The Children in Burma (Myanmar)

Preben Hansen sosbabyfonden at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:25:08 UTC 2008

SOS Baby HelpFoundationMake a donation today and help 1000's of childrenMake a donation now ! Home Who are we? Make a donation Our work News & press Contact us Photo's People are dying in Myanmar - Can you help?
Dear friend,

I am writing to you from  Myanmar, where emergency relief efforts in response to Cyclone Nargis are now going strong.

The cyclone has hit the same area that is still reeling from the Asian Tsunami. SOS Baby Help is still helping victims from that tidal wave. Now we need your help again to help us with "Save The Children" help the needy from cyclone Nargis.

It’s raining heavily, further complicating relief efforts. It is unbelievably miserable and dangerous for thousands in temporary shelters. Time is of the essence.

Save the Children’s first plane load of relief supplies arrived on Monday, May 12th. It passed government inspection and is currently being distributed in some of the hardest-hit areas of the delta region.

In the coming days, we will need your help more than ever to help us expand our work to assist children and families most affected by the storm.

The good news is that about 115,000 survivors have been reached with lifesaving supplies including rice, water, oral rehydration solution, plastic sheeting and other urgently needed materials. The staff have been purchasing supplies locally within Myanmar and speeding them to families in need — by truck and by boat.

By mobilizing volunteer aid workers who live in Myanmar, we are able to get to the most vulnerable children and families. Thirty of our child-protection staff are being trained to assist children who have been separated from their families, and we hope to get significant family-tracing activities going in as early as a day or two.

The spread of disease is one of our biggest concerns, as is the increasing number of diarrhoea cases among children. And while that does not seem serious for Westerners, we know that diarrhoea is a major killer among young children in the developing world. Save the Children’s oral rehydration solution can save the lives of many of these children.

While our work is not easy, our hopes and spirits are strong. I’m told that as a Save The Children  team in Pathein was loading a boat, some local people — struggling themselves — arrived and offered to help. That really brought tears to our eyes. Their generosity and kindness, like yours, makes all our efforts worthwhile.
Photos

You can help spread the word about Save the Children's emergency response in Myanmar.Through our programs, Save the Children can achieve so much for so little:
for as little as $50, we can provide a household kit with blankets, mosquito nets, plastic sheeting, mattresses, candles and more.
for only $40, we can provide personal hygiene kits containing items like towels, buckets, razors, sanitary towels, toothbrushes and toothpaste
for $8 we can distribute oral rehydration salts which can save the lives of children who suffer from diarrhoea-related dehydration.
Latest newsWeb Hosting
"SOS Baby Web Hosting" all profits from our hosting service goes to helping needy children...
Cyclone Nargis
As the death toll in Myanmar continues to rise as a result of Cyclone Nargis and as hardships for thousands of survivors left in its wake increase ...
Asian Tsunami
The tsunami hit Phuket hard, our Asian representatives went to a local temple in Phuket with truck loads of help for the local people.
The items were distributed by the temples Monks...

local bridge over flooded fields

Children waiting in line for food and supplies in Myanmar . Photo: Save the Children.
SOS Baby Help Foundation | Please make a donation at www.sosbabyhelp.orgAlmen velgørende fond. Jf. Lov nr. 698 af 11. aug. 1992. Fond i Civilstyrelsen.
CVR- Nr. 21 19 86 84 fra Erhvervs- og Selskabsstyrelsen.
Copyright © 2007 - 2008 www.SOSBabyHelp.org. All rights reserved.