[Cbsupport] computerbank machine feedback

Russell jarvis colouredstatic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:52:22 UTC 2007

Dear Computerbank/Kylie,

Thanks for information and advice about yum and alien. I am still going over
it.

The computer I purchased from CB is going very well, especially in terms of
meeting my expectations.

I am having a lot of problems with the computer but they are all self
inflicted. None of them relate to reasons why I chose a CB computer.

The software packages that were installed on the machine, did not reflect my
needs or interests perfectly, but my needs and interests might not be
typical of most clients. I think that overall the software selection
achieves a good balance, and is as least as good as the medium automatic
installs of Fedora, as about half of the software that I consider to be
essential was there initially.

It would have been good to have the emacs editor as well as vi, and I like
maths programs such as, TeX, LaTeX, gnuplot and octave, but I am not sure
how useful they are for the general population, who might be more interested
in the multimedia and the internet.

I have never recompiled a kernel or anything like that, I wonder if the
kernel is already fine tuned for the hardware on the CB machines? I suspect
that it might be.

So anyway thanks for a good value computer.

BTW:
I wonder if there are going to be any training sessions in the weekends in
the Easter holidays (6th -15th of April). I guess you guys probably intend
on actually having a holiday which would be fair enough.

Here are more of my self induced problems if you would like to here about
them.

The first problem is getting all or some of Wine the menu to appear in the K
menu on the toolbar, I know that there are instructions as to how to create
desktop links in computer bank manual, but I think I need to somehow get the
program to put a menu there itself.

As when I installed Wine on my Gnome Fedora desktop, Wine seemed to install
a menu/interface in the F Applications part of the toolbar. The
menu/interface, seems to be a lot more transparent than the command line
options. Perhaps switching over to Gnome on the CB machine will remedy this,
which leads to my other problem:

I don't know how to switch over to the Gnome desktop, however it is very
much my own problem, since Kylie once gave me explicit instructions on how
to do it, and I lost/forgot them.

Also I think I am close to getting my Canon ip 1000 printer to work through
localhost:631, but I am having problems. I understand that is a computer
that you neither stock nor recommend. Maybe I will ask about it some other
time.

Thanks again
Russell