Re: [Cbsupport] Linux address & Dell Base Station Network driver(s)

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:03 pm, Chris Guiver quoteth:
> Hoping someone can help - it's appeared before, but I didn't get any
>
> The linux machine is a COMPUTERBANK supplied machine, running debian linux
> it was installed with. It's a DELL LAPTOP, which was provided with a base
> unit which contains a 3COM ethernet interface, but which the linux doesn't
> seem to recognize.
>
> Question 1.
>
> How is the linux (on booting) address set ?
>
> I've tried the /etc/hosts file assuming it's the LINUX line, but I now
> gather that was (it gives me errors every boot now) supposed to point to
> the internet linux site...

/etc/network/interfaces
it will be eth0, assuming that you have no other cards:)
to get it started at boot with a static ip address of say, 192.168.0.1, add
this line:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

to add it to a network connecting to internet, add to the previous stuff:
gateway gateway_machine_ip

or, for dhcp networks:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

> Question 2
>
> What was the original address of the linux line in /etc/hosts, or can
> someone paste in a copy of a standard /etc/hosts file for me.

127.0.0.1 localhost

if you want to add a name for your boxen to match network addy, it would be:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.1 boxname

> Question 3
>
> Is it a driver problem - why the dell laptop doesn't look or recognize the
> supplied base station 3COM ethernet card. The screen, keyboard ports have
> been tested and work fine, but the 3COM doesn't light up any leds, or
> PINGing other machines produces nothing.

it maybe because its not loading the card..
test it with:
(as root)

ifconfig add eth0 192.168.0.1 up
see what happens:)

> Is there anything I can do to get my computerbank linux laptop to be
> recognized by any other machines on my network ?

try the above:)

of course, i maybe misunderstanding your problem, but i have a compaq in a
docking station, so i have this setup - actually, i use either the dock
station or the pcmcia card, so my setup has a few more entries than that, but
it all works smoothly:)

hth,
r:)

Romana Challans
Computerbank Australia Incorporated - SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/