[Aslug] Meeing Wed night 13th July

Ken T professorsnapper at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:24:20 EST 2011

Yep, I'm in for a meeting tomorrow night.
On my mind for discussion:

1) I've begun to explore Linux on tiny devices - anyone heard of Raspberry
Pi yet? Looking forward to it being out later this year...

2) Also on my mind is continuing the discussion about how to tweak the ASLUG
website to make it more democratic / accessible / updateable by anyone who's
part of the LUG, and lower the barrier for participation in doing so -
logging in via SSH / VNC just doesn't seem necessary with modern tools like
WordPress or other easy-to-use CMS'es (e.g. Concrete 5).

Further, There have been several interesting discussions, proposals,
initiatives etc which have begun at face-to-face meetings, but have had
short-lived stints on the mailing list - with the depth and breadth of
tech-savvy present in this group, I'm sure we can come up with a better way
to facilitate on-going dialogue than this mailing-list, which IMHO isn't so
great for being able to track the ongoing development of, or present state
of, any given initiative / idea / discussion.

Sure, there's free hosting offered through the current provider, but we
could easily have a free site hosted through the likes of WordPress, and
even have public-facing and member-only areas of the site. Having said that,
I do like the idea of promoting openness and transparency with the LUG.

Edan, I believe you were looking at establishing a WordPress site - where
are you at currently on this? I say we could set up
aslug.wordpress.comeasily and risk-free, and begin to play with it...
what do you folks think?

3) Further to the above, I've been thinking of earlier discussions at the
meetings about attracting further community participation - seems to me that
cultivating the modder / hacker (as distinct from "cracker") culture, and
free / open-source culture more broadly, rather than simply users of Linux
OS, are focii I could be interested in being a part of.

Thanks,
K.