[Aslug] ASLUG Meeting : Wed 17 March

Adrian Casey casey at outbacklinux.com
Wed Mar 10 20:14:01 UTC 2004

Greetings all.

I recently read an article in Linux Journal about the OASIS project
(http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php).  OASIS is about developing open
standards for e-business.  For example, they have a standard relating to word
processing documents, spread sheets and presentations.  The key idea is that
freedom does not come from open applications - all they do is allow
convenient conversion from one proprietary format to another.  True freedom
will come from open document definition standards.  If you would like to
manipulate a spreadsheet using sed and awk why shouldn't you?  XML is the
enabling technology here.

It looks like OpenOffice, KOffice, Siag and Abiword are all going to
eventually adopt the OASIS document standard.  This will be a good thing as
it will mean you can use whatever tool you want to create your documents.
After all, we use our own favourite editor to create ASCII text docs and web
pages, so why not enjoy the same freedom across all office documents?

What will open information storage standards mean to you?

See you at the meeting.

--
Cheers.
Adrian Casey.