[Video] Recording premix?

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sun Jun 23 05:32:24 EST 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.com> wrote:

>> Reviewing and editing those cut lists would be a matter of time and
>> opportunity.  Obviously, if no further work needed to be done the project
>> could simply be mixed down and encoded as is.  But the opportunity to fix
>> things is always useful.  It would also make sense to have the ability to
>> only record the post-mix anyway - to render on the spot, as currently done
>> -
>> if the user was space or time constrained or had other reasons.
>

> The opportunity to fix things sounds nice but I don't think it will ever be
> used. My experience has been "post-editing" doesn't work, it is just too
> easy to put it off forever. I don't think the review in veypar that Carl and
> Ryan does scales either.
>
> Eventually we are just going to end up streaming/publishing everything
> captured anyway (similar to multiple points of view for sport), bandwidth is
> just not there yet.

This is all an edge case, so low priority, but I do want to keep it on
the todo list.

Post editing does happen, but not for most/all of the time.  I have
spent time bluring out a phone number, or removing 5 min of dead air
when a preventer's laptop dies.  It sucks, but for the times when
things are really broken, it is nice to be able to fix them.

veyepar editing scales enough.  What will help is to be able to move
some of the post production work into talk time - if the "start cut"
is good, one more click in the UI so instead of marking a time on
paper and using that to click a veyepar UI.   If the operator is
confidant in the start/end cuts, encoding/uploading could begin as
soon as the talk is over.   This is really the same data flow so would
not reduce video production quality at all.

--
Carl K