[Video] Willingness to pay the proper people

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Jun 18 15:08:21 EST 2013

<snip>

>  My reasoning is as follows;
>
>    - Setting up for a conference consumes a person full time for at least
>    a week, if not more before the conference and a week after.
>    - There is also a lot of demand for people with the correct
>    experience, they could be doing a paid gig instead.
>    - Many have already purchased the equipment needed and invested money
>    into the setup.
>    - Giving back to people is the right thing to do.
>
> Thoughts, ideas, rejections?
>
> <snip>

> "Giving back" is an argument to use Next Day Video specifically because
> they use Free Open Source Software, but that is a divisive argument.  I'd
> rather we not devolve into arguments about exactly how "free" is "free" and
> exactly how much this company or that company is "doing the right thing".

Giving back is an argument to use for people who are willing to provide
time and effort outside charging for every hour.

For example, I'm pretty sure that NextDay Video has never charged Linux
Australia "market rates". You're not giving back to company that charges
you 150k and doesn't deliver until 2 years later.

Arguing about how "free is free" and "doing the right thing" is exactly
what we will need to consider.

A point I've yet to raise is that putting the videos YouTube is a positive
benefit to Linux Australia (from the exposure) and the community (because
they can actually find the videos) but is obviously not a "free (as in
speech) solution".

> Don't get me wrong - I want to use Free Open Source Software for the
> process.  But that was exactly the decision that led to LCA 2010 using the
> video company they did - and that ended up producing the videos about two
> years late.  Using "Giving back to people" as a way of saying "actually we
> should just use Next Day Video" is a dangerous argument, in my opinion.

See above.

> Personally, I think each LCA is going to choose whether they use a company
> to handle recording the talks, do it all themselves, or some combination of
> the two.  Obviously, the purpose of this list is to try to make it easier
> for a conference to do the process themselves.  This saves money and gives
> back to the community too.

Agreed.

Lets have the argument once here and then move on rather than having it
every time a conference wants to do video.

Tim