[Video] Willingness to pay the proper people

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Jun 18 09:15:39 EST 2013

Hi,

> The current setup has been well tested and I believe well understood.
>
> More or less.  My experience was that there were a few people who knew
> about this system, but it wasn't well documented online.  The
> documentation, such as the DVswitch page linked above, is terse,
> non-adaptive and mainly handles the working case.  Unfortunately, I wasn't
> able to speak with the people who really know this system - Ryan and Carl -
> and some of the other people who do know it - Tristan, James Iseppi, Matt
> Franklin, Euan, Liam and others - were only able to help educate me to a
> limited extent.

I just want to point out that Ryan and Carl offered to "do" video for LCA
but the offer was not taken up. I urged the LCA2013 committee to take up
the offer, but it was not done so.

I think one of the biggest sticking points is "why pay people to do what
volunteers can do for free?". What do people feel about recommending that
these volunteers are actually paid contractors?

My reasoning is as follows;

   - Setting up for a conference consumes a person full time for at least a
   week, if not more before the conference and a week after.
   - There is also a lot of demand for people with the correct experience,
   they could be doing a paid gig instead.
   - Many have already purchased the equipment needed and invested money
   into the setup.
   - Giving back to people is the right thing to do.

Thoughts, ideas, rejections?

Tim