[PHPwestoz] looking for a php tutor

james james at antistandard.com
Tue Mar 14 10:27:02 UTC 2006

Hi Shannon

Thanks for your response and thanks for your kind comments about my site and knowledge of php. I guess the reason I want a tutor is because I have a very patchy knowledge of php and know almost nothing about apache/linux and the backend stuff. I can get by with php but copying and pasting php scripts and not knowing whats gone wrong if it fails doesn't really appeal to me. I am in the prosess of working throught the learn php in 24 hours book, but there are some questions that I always want to ask there and then to someone, get an answer and move on. I have found that tutors can give me a relative answer that solves a big problem or ties concepts together very quickly. I find books don't do that.

I guess the other thing I could do is go on forums a bit more. I guess I just wanted to get to high level quickly since all the jobs require so much knowledge of programming nowdays and seem very demanding. I still have to get my skills up in xml, actionsripting and php/mysql before I can get started in a decent paying job. I am a nig fan of "ctrl C, ctrl V" which is how I have stayed above water so far, but I agree with you that hands on learning is the way to go. I just wanted to speed it up.

Thanks again for your confience. I will keep reading and see how I go.

Thanks - James