[PHPwestoz] PHP Graphics Problem, In detail

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Fri Mar 11 17:34:01 UTC 2005

Sorry if some of these responses seem a bit obvious but I have to ask
em.

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 14:27 +0800, Jimmy Bowden wrote:
> Hey everyone :D,
> I have, in php.ini, cleared the semi colon in front of the php_gd2.dll with
> no change.

Have you restarted apache after making the change? PHP when run as an
apache module only loads its config file at apache startup.

> This is the symptom. I have a page that uses imagecreatefromjpeg(); and a
> few other functions. Running under the linux box that's been set up, the
> coding works. Running under this setup, it doesn't.

What is the exact error message its giving? PHP's error messages are
reasonably good and someone experienced with it can normally diagnose
whats happening with one (now if only i could convince the $%*#ing sales
drone at work that when he reports a problem from a client please
include the error message and print screen, paste into word document
does not count. okay rant over)

> I visited the site to download gd and it says that all graphics are already
> supported in version 5+

yes gd is bundled in the source. also all the official builds for
windows included it as an extension.

> Also I found that php5.0.3 doesn't support gif modification. Is there any
> other graphical changes that aren't supported?

5.0.2 and earlier didnt support gif due to patents. 5.0.3 has support
reenabled (tho it may be configure options not sure) as it was released
after all the patents expired.

To get a full listing of the supported formats check the info in a
phpinfo page. Also if there is no table about GD then the gd extension
isnt loaded.

To see what I mean about a phpinfo page see
http://spanky.cernun.net/phpinfo.php

Adam Ashley
Optimiser Pty Ltd