[PHPwestoz] CMSs/web applications - opinions?

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Tue Jan 4 15:32:02 UTC 2005

I've spent far too much time looking at CMS's for my own good. I used to
be a believer in the all-in-one approach of cms's like Mambo and Zope.
But whilst these types of cms's do everything (well, nearly) they don't
often do anything really well. So these days I use web apps that are
suited to their purpose - eg: phpbb for forums, serendipity for
blogging, squirrelmail for webmail, and so on. When moving forward with
a site, I don't ask first "What software should I use?", but rather,
"What do I want this site to do?" When it comes to web apps it's horses
for courses IMO, and each web app and cms has been created to meet a
certain set of needs.

So when it comes to determining the functionality of the cms you're
building, what do you want it to do? :)

You may find this site interesting: http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix

/sol