[PHPwestoz] post early, post often

Samuel Cochran sj26 at sj26.com
Mon Feb 14 18:33:02 UTC 2005

Nicolas Connault wrote:

> What's the best way to find some remunerated PHP work, preferably from
> home? Am I just kidding myself if I hope that someone somewhere even
> needs this kind of stuff? Anyone has some experience in that area? Or
> are we all doomed to do open-source freebie stuff forever more?

I tend to get work through previous work - if you're keen for something
smallish, then get into an open-source community like phpBB (yes, I sing
it's praises again) and then offer customisations (for a fee). I started
getting a lot of work through this sort of thing, and eventually moved
up, as I got a reputation. Eventually you'll start getting jobs where
people want whole systems designed. It takes a while, though, and you
have to love the system you're working with.

I'm currently creating a content managment system for a large australian
organisation, or rather an "e-learning system", and they pay is good.
Once you know some people, you get recommendations, and it continues
from there.

-- Sam
   sj26 at sj26.com
   +61 4 1544 1909