[Lugcomms] LUG comms face-to-face meeting idea.

James Polley james at polley.org
Wed Sep 29 01:19:36 EST 2010

*25th redraft, hopefully this one will get sent.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:

> On 09/01/2010 10:28 AM, James Polley wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> >> Anyway, what do people think?
> >
> >+1
>
> That's nice and all, but please contribute more than just "I added one line
> your entire post and reposted it.
>
> Seriously, what would you want

This bit is easy.

I want an australian equivalent of http://lugs.org.uk/ - it seems incredibly
wasteful for each LUG to manage their own hosting; but the hosting options
LA currently offers don't quite match what I want for SLUG.
I want to start discussion about why LUGs exist as incorporated entities
(where they do exist that way), instead of subcommittees of LA
I want to talk to other UGs about what meeting formats they use, how they
entice people to participate in the community.

> to get out of a face-to-face meeting?

That's the tricky bit; I don't see how a f2f meeting directly aids any of
this. It offers less tangible benefits - I know some people from some LUGs,
but most of the names in #linux-aus-lugs are just names, with maybe a static
photo attached. Any of these discussions would be easier to have if I knew
the people I was talking to better, but I don't think being together while
having the discussion is necessarily necessary

In some specific cases - say, a hack weekend to get lug-in-a-box to where I
want it - there's some amount of utility in having participants physically
together, but I can't convince myself the cost is always justified.