[LCP] Basic pointer question [was empty subject]

Steve Baker ice at mama.indstate.edu
Wed Jun 23 01:56:02 UTC 2004

Bill Rausch <BRausch at owt.com> wrote:
> On this one I agree with Greg. This is a C on Linux list, not a
> beginning C list. I've always assumed that folks on the list know how
> to program in C (maybe not expert but at least functional), perhaps
> on a different platform, and have questions relating to getting a
> program to work right on a Linux box. I do think the most elementary
> questions are best served by reading a testbook.

  I also concure.  Simple pointer questions really have nothing to do with
Linux C programming so should be considered beyond the scope of the list.  I
don't have any problems with those new to C programming coming to the last and
asking what book or pointers to documentation, but people who subscribe to
this list have an expectation that it stay on focus.

  As for a C book, I'd recommend "C Programming Language" (2nd Edition) by
Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie also known as the "K&R".  It's a very
concise book on C, although it may be best to have some prior programming
experience before approaching it.

  I'd also perhaps recommend you learn about your compiler, gcc if you use
Linux: http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/ The book is available for
free in pdf format.

								- Steve