[Linux-aus] Question around UX related grants

Rowland Mosbergen rowland at stemformatics.org
Mon Jul 24 17:46:02 AEST 2017

Hi there,

I was curious if the previous Stemformatics grant means that I'm
disqualified from suggesting another grant.

If not, I thought about an idea around the UX related grants mentioned in
conjunction with Cartesian Creative.

The idea is around providing a stand alone application of a metadata
annotation validation and excel spreadsheet like functionality. It would
allow users to annotate large volumes of metadata while still providing an
ontology/validation system. Eg. 1500 samples need to be annotated in
Stemformatics. These samples need to be annotated against a controlled
vocabulary called an ontology.

The idea is that a standalone application could be connected into other web
based systems. I have received some feedback from other providers that this
might be useful.

I first suggested this for the 2016 Health Hack (attached) but I didn't
communicate my ideas very well. Since then I have provided a mockup to help
communicate this idea
<https://app.moqups.com/rowlandm/1xlCPCReH9/view/page/a6c9e06c4>

The concern I have now is that the solution/idea that I described
previously isn't scalable for the new world of single cell RNASeq (over
10,000 rows in a web based application is a lot). I think I would need to
get a UX expert to work with our team and the other interested providers to
define the outline of a solution. I'm unsure of the costs of this and even
if this would be considered worthwhile.

Would it be worthwhile to discuss this further with someone?

I have cc'ed the linux-aus mailing list because I am worried that something
might also exist that I don't know about. When I did look last year, there
didn't seem to be many out there. Most of them were specific solutions:

   1. Sufia (based on Hydra and PDCM) is for uploading files
   2. Picture Park is commercial and doesn't have an excel like interface
   3. AirBNB has a workflow process but not really a stand alone data
   annotation tool
   4. It's actually hard to find a batch annotation tool

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Rowland

------------

Rowland Mosbergen | Business Manager, Stemformatics
Wells Laboratory | Centre for Stem Cell Systems
Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience | Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and
Health Sciences

Room 1.36, Level 1, Kenneth Myer Building
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 6623 | E: rowland at stemformatics.org
W: www.stemformatics.org  | Skype: rowland.stemformatics

[image: id:image001.jpg at 01D20A8D.3D4A4630]

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or
 information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright.
Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The
University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free
from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and
defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please
delete it and notify us by return email.