[Linux-aus] LA list errors

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 18 20:01:36 AEST 2017

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 07:42:15 PM David Bell wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't actually receive the original email as mentioned.

This is the problem that needs to be fixed.

> The LCA lists are actually administered by the teams (I know this, because
> I administered the list for LCA2016, but I do not administer the lists for
> LA).

Which team administers this list and how do we get them to fix it?

> I think it's​ highly optimistic that you expect all other systems adhere to
> all the standards for SMTP correctly, as per the various RFCs, and I wish
> you luck on this endeavour. Because I deal with a lot of weird mail
> systems, and none of yhe standards are sacred.

There is no reason why the LA server should be one of the weird systems.  I
don't think it's optimistic to expect that the responsible people will fix
their problem.  I have got them to fix other problems with the LA servers like
the one that stopped people using SPF from sending mail to the LA council.

At the same time as sending the first message on this topic I sent an email to
an NSA employee about getting their list server (which also runs Mailman)
fixed.  It will be interesting to see if a large and beurocratic organisation
can fix their mail server faster than LA.

If it doesn't work this time I'll just wait a year and start the discussion
again.