[Linux-aus] strange LAN congestion problem

Chris Martin chris at martin.cc
Mon Jun 16 23:13:34 EST 2014

Hi Nick ..  I agree with Kevin and Graham, you are probably exhausting the
buffers/memory in the ADSL router/switch.  If the firmware for the Billion
has QoS I would look at enabling it.  Set the ADSL link bandwidth to be a
fraction (5-10%) lower than your link speed.  Usually low priority buffers
are discarded in favour of high priority packets, which has the tendency to
cause TCP to back off, and slowdown.  This is similar to the mechanism that
wondershaper uses (although not as accurate).  Set high priority to your
local LAN traffic.

I don't think that you can run openwrt on your Billion,  but if you have an
openwrt compatible device available, it will turn a little domestic router
in to a powerhouse and give you access to both QoS and wondershaper.

I have been running OpenWRT since 2005 and would highly recommend it.
 right now I am using a Dlink DIR-825

Cheers

Chris Martin
m: +61 419 812 371