[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 03 June 2014

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:49:29 EST 2014

Just thought I'd chime in and explain better the nature of the
discussion the council had:

- I received some personal correspondence on this topic that I
forwarded from council.
- We did not discuss LCA being an exclusively peer-reviewed
conference, as that would substantially change the nature of the
conference, in a way that's probably not relevant to a lot of LA
speakers.
- We discussed other options, including optional peer review for
people who would benefit from it (people from academic institutions
for instance).

None of these discussions progressed very far, and we neither have any
concrete proposals, or intentions to change anything right now. If
anything were to happen along these lines, there'd be a definite need
to balance what LCA is now and the community that it serves, and any
change towards peer review.

--Chris

On 16 June 2014 09:35, Lev Lafayette <lev at levlafayette.com> wrote:

> On Sun, June 15, 2014 10:46 pm, Russell Coker wrote:
>>
>> While I still don't know what exactly is involved in making it
>> peer-reviewed,
>> I can't imagine why this would be any sort of barrier to entry.
>
> It would be a barrier to entry, but it would be a good barrier to entry.
>
> I can easily see - based on the quality of past presentations - that LCA
> would become a "Class A" conference as assessed by CORE, for example.
>
> This would be good for LA, for LCA, and especially for Linux.
>
>> One thing that I think could be improved is support for getting new
>> speakers.
>> LCA is a fairly intimidating conference to offer a talk for.
>
> Not a bad idea either, and certainly not in contradiction with being a
> peered conference.
>

> --
> Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
> Mngmnt) (Chifley)
> mobile:  0432 255 208
> RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt