[Linux-aus] EFA: creating the web we want

Bianca Gibson bianca.rachel.gibson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:03:22 EST 2014

Forwarded from: efa.org.au/events/web-we-want-2014/

----------

Our government is spying on us. What should we do?

EFA, in partnership with ThoughtWorks Australia, brings you this free,
public event, as part of the Agile Australia 2014 conference.

Revelations from whistleblower Edward Snowden have clearly demonstrated
that governments around the world have been engaging in dragnet-style mass
surveillance for years. We know that intelligence agencies, including the
US National Security Agency (NSA), the UK’s GCHQ and Australia’s Signals
Directorate have been intercepting and storing the records of hundreds of
millions of our phone calls, text messages, emails, web searches, website
visits, instant messages, and social media activity. We know that these
agencies have been sharing our information with other governments, large
corporations, and non-security organisations.

Governments have justified this mass surveillance on the grounds of
“national security” against “terrorism”. Yet there is no evidence that this
disproportionate intrusion into our private lives has stopped or foiled
even one terrorist act, despite the vast financial and social cost.

What these government activities have done is to build an extremely
effective surveillance infrastructure which police states of the past,
present, and future could only envy.

It is our duty to redress this illegal and immoral societal imbalance. What
legal, social, and regulatory policy reforms are necessary to safeguard our
right to privacy? What can we do both now and in the future to protect our
private communications from dragnet government surveillance? What level of
digital spying is acceptable in an Internet where our privacy is valued?
ThoughtWorks logoAgile Australia 2014 logo
This free and public forum is part of the Agile Australia conference. It
will be a thought-provoking examination of privacy issues vital to the
future of digital freedom. It will include a review of available
technologies to resist dragnet surveillance, and global initiatives to
strengthen individuals’ right to privacy, as enshrined in the 1948
Universal Declaration on Human Rights. It will be a call to join and shape
local and worldwide activities to oppose mass government surveillance.
Event Details

    Time & Date: 11:30am, 17th June 2014
    Venue: Melbourne Convention Centre, 1 Convention Centre Place,
Southbank (click for map).
    Cost: FREE
    Registration: Not Required