[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 24 21:51:21 EST 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Brenda Aynsley wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 12:19:24
> From: Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au>
> To: linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Photos at conferences
>
> On 22/01/14 14:30, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
>
> [big snip]
>>
>> So, if you think there's a case for policy to be developed, consider
>> whether you could produce an *actual recommendation*, or whether you
>> should just remain quiet.
>>
>> This thread is more-or-less beyond the point where we're likely to
>> produce any further useful recommendations.
>>

> absolutely agree Chris and can see exactly where you are coming from.
>
> cheers
> brenda
>
> --
> Brenda Aynsley, FACS CP, ACS Honorary Life Member
> ACS President 2014 & 2015
> Chair IFIP International Professional Practice Partnership (IP3) 2011-14

I think it quite unfortunate when people who flaunt their power, make a
point of stifling discussion.

And, despite any false apologies, it was emphasised, by the offensive
one, that the offensive one twice, blatantly invoked the "Godwin"
censorship of open discussion.

Such is apparently the way of some people with powerful friends, who,
by stating the base of their power, also indicate that their
organisation of which they are president, also supports stifling free
and open discussion of important issues of privacty and respect and
professional conduct.

And, yes, I suggest that the required wearing of markers to designate
people who want to be not photographed, does need to be considered as
not too much unlike the required wearing of the yellow star. Not as a
malicious "godwin" (I think that should be halfwit) form of censorship,
but, as a valid analogy - "These people are sub-human, and should be
treated as such, due to the matrker that they wear".

"Oooh, there is a person who does not want their photo taken. We should
treat them with less courtesy and respect than anyone else, as the
marker indicates."

As I have previously said, and, as previously ignored, it should be a
simple matter of courtesy and respect - before photographing anyone,
ask, politely, and, if the person says (or acts, such as leaving a group
to be photographed, while photographs of the group are to be taken)
that they do not want to be photograph, that should be respected.

I really do not know why the mob has to make such a big issue of it.

I think that the appropriate term is bullying.

Why can you simply not be courteous to, and, respect, others?

what is so difficult about that?

Maybe, it has something to do with Australia Day coming up?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."