[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 13:55:38 EST 2014

Hi,
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Russell Stuart <
russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 12:34 +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> > Just playing the devil's advocate here: "I want to see photos and want
> > to be photographed myself, and I am next to the person who does *not*
> > want this".
>
> I try to take a photo of you both.  Mr Introvert says "please don't".
> Mr Extrovert says "please do".  Are you telling me you can't suggest a
> compromise that everyone would likely find acceptable?
>
> With respect:
Extrovert != OK to take my Pic.
Introvert != Not OK to take my pic.

The reasons for a person to make such decisions are probably best not
labelled. These things are personal choices based on personal reasons.

TBH, I have no answer to offer on this issue but any suggestions so far
have failed to take into account the rise of indiscriminate image creation
devices like Goggle Glass.
For any policy/rule/friendly agreement to work, it needs to be able to be
policed and devices like GG (which lets face is probably only the start)
make that really hard for organisers...

If given a choice, I would not like to be photographed but ... what choice
do any of us have these days in that regard?
If you catch a train or bus, use an ATM, walk a CBD street, walk past a
shop with a CCTV camera, drive a car, etc etc etc...; chances are your
image will be captured by something.

IMHO there is probably no "definitive super duper fix all" answer for this
issue... but a clear and concise Privacy Policy is a good start. :-)

BW