[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Tue Jan 21 12:32:08 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 08:54 +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
> If you're in a public space you can be legally photographed without
> your permission.  That's the law of the land.  But as a community,
>
> That wont wash with LCA
> Any first year law student could argue that LCA is a "private event" held in
> a "private venue"
>
> Of course if LCA was held on public property, like a park, sidewalk, or even
> after such event in a car park, there's no argument.

Hi Noel,

Sorry for the misunderstanding: I wasn't arguing that LCA was held in
a public place[0], rather that in most Australian public spaces[1]
photography is permitted.

I guess my point is that we shouldn't be imposing censorship above and
beyond what is acceptable and legal in society in general.

Hope this helps,

Michael...

[0] Although having said that, several LCA2014 social events were held
in public places.
[1] Sydney foreshore etc excepting.  http://www.psq.org.au/Legalities.pdf
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net