[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Nathan Bailey nate at polynate.net
Tue Jan 21 09:25:30 EST 2014

I know plenty of people who don't like photos, but most of them don't like
being the focal point of a photo (a-b), and accept photos from a distance
(c), but would probably be uncomfortable being in the front row of (d).

I am inclined to agree with Simon; if someone is the focal point of a
photo, you should ask, but beyond this, it's going to be difficult to
manage.

Personally, I would think taking a photo and then asking might be okay in
some circumstances (eg. (d)), so that you can get a candid photo but if
people don't like it, it can be deleted. But I can also understand how just
the act of being photographed could be distressing for some people.

Perhaps someone could convene a (private) discussion for people who feel
strongly about not being photographed to talk about what their boundaries
are and what their ideas might be for handling this well? One solution
could be to have "no photo" zones, but this could turn Rosa Parks-ish.

cheers,