[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Linux Australia and the OIN community

Shane Coughlan scoughlan at openinventionnetwork.com
Thu Oct 31 20:52:19 EST 2013

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in a mail direct to Kathy, please accept apologies for a delayed reply. I was on an extended business trip from the 18th and fell behind on mail.

In short, today the OIN community has 623 companies and projects participating. This is a really broad spread, ranging from IBM to CentOS, from Fujitsu to KDE e.V. Everyone in the OIN community makes one promise; that if they ever had a Linux System patent, they would never use it aggressively against anyone else who makes the same promise. Think of it as a "patent aggression no-fly-zone", and a way to create a standard of behaviour around Free/Open Source Software that makes every individual, every project and every company safer.

Our community already has 15 Australian companies and projects but we would love to have more step up and support non-aggression. We often welcome community organisations to the OIN community (for example KOSSA in Korea or NLnet Foundation in The Netherlands), and for that reason we though it would be a good fit with Linux Australia.

I'm happy to address any questions or comments.

Regards

Shane