[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Victim Impact Statement

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Nov 4 20:20:58 EST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Matthew Lye <matthew.lye at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I would hate to see another thread come up where someone decided to talk
> about LGBT and raise the same types of issues and see some other individual
> suffer the same way.

If someone wants to try and represent a marginalised group then it's a really
good idea for them to research what members of that group want.  In modern
times this isn't particularly difficult, you can do a Google search and
failing that just read some of the URLs that get posted into every discussion
of this nature.  If you just make stuff up about the needs of a marginalised
group then by ignoring their requests you are further marginalising them.

I'd really hate to see a thread on this list where some straight person
decides to talk about LGBT issues and just ignores all the many web resources
written by LGBT people.  Especially if the discussion then proceeded with a
bunch of straight people ignoring all input from LGBT people (the way input
from women on this list was disregarded).

The same goes for discussions of race, or any other minority group issue.