[Linux-aus] Are you interested in being an Australian Internet Governance Forum Ambassador?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue May 21 10:47:15 EST 2013

On 20 May 2013 23:58, David Lyon <david.lyon at hackerpads.com> wrote:

> On 20.05.2013 09:18, Linux Australia Secretary wrote:
>
> > The Forum is specifically looking for Ambassadors to lead discussions
> > on
> > areas of internet governance in which they are passionate, have an
> > interest and in which they could convene a panel of subject matter
> > experts to lead and contribute to debate and workshops. A small
> > number
> > of Ambassadors will be chosen to represent Australia at the global
> > Internet Governance Forum in Bali later in the year.
>
> Sorry to ask this, but is this related somehow to this:
>
>   -
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/au/australia-gripes-about-which-domains-suck-the-most-7000007768/

I'm going to hazard a guess and say no?

That article mentions DBCDE (federal gov department) and something called
the Governmental Advisory Committee. auDA is a "industry self-regulatory
body" and has been recognised by the government but is not the government
per-se. Its budget ( http://www.auda.org.au/about/budget/ ) doesn't appear
to show any government income.

I personally think having members of our community take part in something
like this could help keep some balance so decisions are not dominated by
commercial/proprietary interests, especially in relation to copyright, web
standards etc. I imagine there are folks here who would have an interest in
generic TLDs - ahem .conf.au (although it's not a new one).

Does the public really need 'more' governance given everything on the

> internet
> is already being monitored by govt departments anyway? Does lecturing
> other
> countries really help our international standing?

I'm not sure why you have assumed such a paternalistic overtone - someone
could always go along with an open mind and actually try to learn something
from other countries.

regards
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/