[Linux-aus] Should we change? Yes. To change is to grow.

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Apr 29 02:15:55 EST 2012

Hi Donna,

On 29/04/2012, at 1:33 AM, Donna Benjamin wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 01:04 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
>> "I'll provide you with my insurance for free and then you tell me to
>> change my legal name." You look in your own mirror  before you try to
>> see my vision in mine.
>
> More than half the people on the current committee have been actively,
> intimately involved in running linux.conf.au.

Ok.

> They are all obviously
> involved in the day to day administrivia of keeping this organisation
> ticking, with a budget of around a million dollars with no paid staff at
> all, and recently met for a rare face to face meeting.

Ok.

Both of the above are totally irrelevant.

> I wasn't there, I wasn't part of that, I had no part in making this call
> to change the name.

That is relevant but you are giving reasons to think about it. Let's drop the political BS and say you support it.

> John Ferlito, current president, and core team member of LCA07 has
> raised this question. Not me, not Chris.  We've just offered examples of
> why we should think about it.
>
> The others..
> Peter Lieverdink - LCA08
> Josh Hesketh - LCA09
> Clinton Roy - LCA11
> Mike Carden - LCA13
>
> which leaves
> Bianca Gibson - also an active member of free software melbourne
> Jamez Polley - former president of SLUG.
>
> So - I'm not sure how turning the mirror back on me is actually useful.

Well, do you think we've come to a consensus? I don't think we have. We might have to have one of these horrendous things called a vote...but we can't possibly have that...until we know the results.

DSL