[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Thu Apr 26 15:42:58 EST 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:42:56 +1000 (EST)
Peter Lieverdink <peter at cc.com.au> wrote:

> I very much doubt that's going to happen either ;-)
>
> > nor have their reasons for not wanting to support Linux.
>
> Well, that's quite easy. Say I'm a Drupal shop. I have a bunch of
> computers that my team use, they're all Macs. My clients run their
> Drupal sites on their own servers, which may run Linux. I don't
> actually care. I care about Drupal. Which is an open source project,
> but has nothing whatsoever to do with Linux, except that *some*
> Drupal sites happen to run on Linux.

A name change isn't going to fix that problem though is it?

Eg. a potential sponsor or company looking at sending delegates to the
Drupal conference looks up $NEW_ORG_NAME and realises that the money
they spend may also go to help fund WordCamp. That may end up being more
of a disincentive than it going Linux activities ;-)

If there are significant numbers of sponsors and companies who fund
delegates who are that concerned about some of the profits from
the conference they sponsor going to other open source projects,
perhaps completely separate legal entities for these conferences are
needed rather than just a name change.

Otherwise sponsors are going to have to be comfortable with the fact
that the money they send may eventually end up going to help open source
projects which potentially compete with the one they want to support.

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org