[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name

Peter Lieverdink peter at cc.com.au
Thu Apr 26 14:42:56 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 26/04/12 12:20, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> > I don't expect that at all. What I do expect is that I wouldn't have
> > to explain that "The money is not going to Linux". Obviously, I
> > understand the difference between due diligence, and dealing with
> > unfounded confusion.
>
> Once again, I'm curious: what sort of sponsor would have trouble with
> excess profits going to Linux Australia (I'm assuming from a position
> of ignorance that PyCon is something like LCA in its financial structure),
> but would not have problems with other parts of our values system,
> such as opposing software patents, open standards, and open source?
>
> I would have thought that any company or individual holding the position
> that they don't want any of their money helping Linux would be a company
> whose sponsorship we're not likely to attract regardless. (Once again,
> i'm coming from a position of ignorance, since as far as i can tell
> these companies have not been named in this conversation

I very much doubt that's going to happen either ;-)

> nor have their reasons for not wanting to support Linux.

Well, that's quite easy. Say I'm a Drupal shop. I have a bunch of computers that my team use, they're all Macs. My clients run their Drupal sites on their own servers, which may run Linux. I don't actually care. I care about Drupal. Which is an open source project, but has nothing whatsoever to do with Linux, except that *some* Drupal sites happen to run on Linux.

- P.