[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Steve Dalton steve at refactor.com.au
Sun Apr 22 21:12:41 EST 2012

We changed the name of GCLUG to "Open Source Gold Coast" a while back
to be inclusive of people interested in Open Source software (and
hardware) but not necessarily wanting to jump to Linux. It's worked
pretty well I think and we have got some more members by being a bit
more welcoming to MS/Apple people.

I can see the logic in changing name of Linux Australia to something
broader but I really don't like the sound of Open Source Australia.
The Linux Australia brand is really strong and I think it would be a
mistake to wreck that. Is there some other name that could reflect a
broader appeal but still retain some of the LA brand? (I can't
personally think of one off top of my head - but I'm sure the
membership might be able to come up with something).

Other reasons I don't like OSA:

- Too close to OSIA
- Too close to OSDC
- Doesn't include the Free/Libre part of FLOSS - I'm sure there are
some people in the FSF camp that would be livid about it a change of
name that suggests we endorse the other lot!

Steve

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM, John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Linux Australia has been around for over ten years and we are no longer an
> organisation focussed mainly on Linux and running LCA each year. All of our
> members use or contribute to open source projects in one form or another. Linux
> Australia has also become involved in open source and open culture events that
> are not specifically related to Linux.
>
> We think it is time for us to change the name of our organisation to have it
> more accurately represent the focus of our community.
>
> The council wants the community to discuss this potential name change and if
> required, an appropriate name. One name that seems to accurately reflect our
> shared values and our direction is Open Source Australia.
>
> What we would like to hear from you, the membership, is your feeling about such
> a name change and if this particular suggested name doesn't resonate with you,
> is there one that's a better fit?
>
> Linux.conf.au is our largest and longest running conference and we don't
> believe we need to change its name. The reputation and wide recognition of the
> LCA brand is important to the future of linux.conf.au.
>
> We also don't intend to relinquish the Linux Australia brand or the
> linux.org.au domain name. They will be useful during the transition to another
> name and we intend to maintain their registrations for as long as it makes
> sense to do so.
>
> Cheers,
> Linux Australia Council
>
> --