[Linux-aus] Eliminating fees from the constitution?

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Wed May 4 05:08:04 EST 2011

On 03/05/11 07:32, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011, David Newall wrote:
>> I want to know--as asked in prior messages--what need there is to charge
>> a fee.
> You seem to be taking a couple of positions in this thread:
> ... I'd genuinely like to know which you prefer.

Possibly a more aggressive position than I hold, but essentially
correct: We shouldn't change the constitution unnecessarily.  I'm
hearing no reason for charging $2, so let's not do that.  While we're
not changing the fee, let's also not change the 3 month payment period.
(Had there been a reason to charge $2, allowing 99 years to pay it
seemed reasonable, even clever; but let's not squabble over how long to
take over something we don't plan to do!)

If the goal of a $2 fee is to clean the member's mailing list, and I now
suspect it is, then I'm certainly against it.  We can get rid of
bouncing addresses without dropping members altogether.