[Linux-aus] LA Council Face to Face meeting

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Mar 18 22:38:42 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 21:12, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > That said, I don't think it should be much of a challenge to keep the
> > records sufficiently up to date to present the past calendar year's info
> by
> > around the third week in Jan.
> We need also to meet the requirement to present an audit at the AGM,
> now[1].
> The books shouldn't be too hard to audit, but close of financial year on
> December 31 and a professional audit being conducted by the third week in
> January is probably *possible* to arrange, but not really ideal in terms of
> public holidays, auditors taking holidays, LA Council taking holidays,
> and/or
> lots of energy being spent on LCA.

Sorry, I didn't realise they required audited results at the AGM. Getting
them audited in less than a month is probably unreasonable (if only for the
probably cost of getting it expedited). Ending the financial year 31st
October (or 30th September to align with BAS reporting) would likely be the
best for that then -- one month to update the books and run them past the
committee, a month to get them audited, and a bit of slack for holidays.

> (It's currently almost three months since last year ended; that financials
> > haven't been presented yet means there's definitely problems other than
> the
> > timing of the FY versus the AGM. Might be good to fix those first...)
> Josh is probably better placed to give a full rundown on this, but again...
> an
> audit needs to be presented.

I think the membership is more interested in the figures than the auditing
part; the audit part is "just" a requirement of the government, and, well,
that's already technically been missed.

(I know when we've missed it in the past too, when we did Jul-Jun financial
years with AGMs in January, not realising the "AGM within 6 months of FY
end" requirement)

> The statement and the auditor's report will be presented together with the
> SGM
> notice,

Again, I don't see any reason why the materials presented to the auditor
can't be (and haven't been) presented to the membership. I was assuming that
they hadn't been prepared yet, and were still intending to be presented as
soon as they were. This doesn't sound like that.

(Or should I stop complaining and just take advantage of the "records, books
and other documents of the association must be open to inspection, free of
charge, by a member of the association at any reasonable hour" clause in the
constitution?)

Cheers,
aj

--