[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Fri Feb 25 12:11:08 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 13:39 +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> I applaud the LA committee for having the vision to act a
> little like an Angel Investor, have a little faith, and give them their
> first stepping stone.

Yes, well I don't agree.  Just to be clear, I am not saying I personally
think the stated goals of Ada Initiative are a bad idea.  Its the
reverse in fact.  I like the getting more women into open source, and I
can't think of a person who is likely to bring more energy and
dedication to the task than Val.  It would be a disappointment to me if
LA didn't end up supporting it in the end.  Fortunately that seems
unlikely now.

My point is that just giving money as a show of support, but with no
idea of how it is actually going to be spent is not the best way of
going about it.