[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Thu Feb 24 14:26:02 EST 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> You are implying that women that don't choose to take a technical
> career should not be there because they would not be qualified in the
> first place. And you don't see anything wrong with that logic?

Perhaps he means that we risk attracting people to computing that are
unsuited or not like it.

Like those people who got into IT during the .com boom instead of
becoming accountants or lawyers. Easy to spot, they are aged around 30,
wear nice clothes to work, don't touch computers outside work hours and
have minimal interest in areas of IT outside their job requirements.

However I think that we would have to increase the number of women in IT
a fair bit before we "overshoot" into people who would be unsuited.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.