[Linux-aus] Designated Photography Space at LCA?

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Feb 20 18:30:34 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 18:09 +1100, Andrew Pam wrote:
> On 20/02/11 17:49, Melissa Draper wrote:
> > People don't become public property because they walk out their front
> > door.
>
> No, but they are "in public" once they walk out their front door and can
> be photographed by anyone any time, although commercial use would
> normally require a release.  I support the right of people who are not
> "public figures" to choose not to have their identity linked to
> published images and to refuse permission to have their image taken, but
> I don't think it's a good idea to make photography opt-in.  I do support
> mechanisms to assist people in opting out if they so choose.
>
> Andrew

There's a difference between public and private property. Universities
are technically private property [0].

But lets keep in mind here that the actual issue at hand is that people
are accepting that they may appear in photographs of large crowds, yet
immensely dislike being one of the primary subjects of a photograph, and
are unhappy that their requests to be avoided are pretty much ignored to
the point that the same photographer can be trying again within the
memory span of a goldfish.

[0]http://www.activistrights.org.au/cb_pages/student_activists.php#publicPrivate