[Linux-aus] Designated Photography Space at LCA?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Feb 20 15:25:24 EST 2011

On Sunday, 20 February 2011 at 12:08:39 +1000, Don Knowles wrote:

> In view of the heat in the discussion, why not plan a designated
> space or place set aside for those who wish to photograph people at
> the conference, and those who don't mind being photographed.

What a horrible idea.  I'm sure you mean well, but this is really
going over the top.

> That gives reluctant photographees the opportunity to move away and
> not be included, and photographers need only ask if someone appears
> to be "backing into" the designated space unconsciously. After all,
> the back half of most people will only spoil a photo :-)

I prefer to take unposed photos.  I can accept that some people don't
want photos taken of them, and I wouldn't oppose an area where you
*can't* take photos, though I think it's a little silly.  If people
don't want to have photos taken of them, then maybe they shouldn't be
appearing in public.

This seems to be a particularly liberal interpretation of the term
"harassment".  I'm having a hard time with the issue in the first
place.  I'm certainly not in favour of harassment, but as I wrote a
few weeks ago (http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-feb2011.php), there are
laws against it.  There are also laws relating to what photographers
may and may not do.  Conference organizers should help enforce them.
The conference web site should make this clear.  But that's really
all.  In this particular instance I'd be inclined to say "the
conference is a public place, and laws regarding photography in public
places must be respected".  No more.

Greg
--
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  See