[Linux-aus] Update on the Australian Newspapers service - 1 millionth page, 10 millionth article now available

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:02:25 EST 2009

I applaud my colleagues over at the NLA for the success of this
project. I do get a bit annoyed though when they trumpet their
innovative crowdsourcing approach as being unique and ground breaking.

Project Gutenberg has been doing it since at least 2000;  http://www.pgdp.net/c/

At a presentation at the NLA earlier this year, the project leader
boasted of their success but wondered how to set standards and train
users. When I pointed her to the Distributed Proofreaders site where
there are great tutorials and explanations of the process, her
response was "Lalalalalalala, not listening."

And outsourcing the scanning and OCR overseas, well, I question the
wisdom of that.

Anyway, it's a fine project and doubtless a great resource for researchers.

--
MC