[Linux-aus] [Fwd: [LACTTE] Grant Proposal: Feasibility Report for Customer-Enforced Licence Compliance]

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Dec 4 11:13:09 EST 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:13:21 pm James Purser wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 22:12 +1100, Melissa Draper wrote:
> > Request for Grant under the Linux Australia Grants Program
> >
> > **** Date: 16 November 2009
> >
> > **** Project Name:
> > Feasibility Report for Customer-Enforced Licence Compliance
> >
> > Output
> > The output of the work would be a report on the review and an explanation of the feasibility of such an approach.
> > The report may be licensed openly (eg GPLv3) and would be drafted accordingly (this may mean that the report would be more circumspect than if it was not published openly).
>
> Personally I think the report should be available to everyone, why do
> you think that having the report being open would require more
> circumspection?

If I may speculate on Brendan's behalf here?

An assessment like this would include analysing the effectiveness of responses
to such a legal action.  You don't really want to hand potential opponents a
template.

FWIW, I think it's worthwhile to investigate this possibility.  If the
outcome is positive it could strengthen the hand of LA members trying to get
source from non-compliant vendors.

Cheers,
Rusty.