[Linux-aus] [clug] And Skynet fights back.

Kanchana Wickremasinghe kanchana at fossmart.net
Mon Feb 11 08:11:15 UTC 2008

Thanks for providing these info guys. Makes me laugh. You make my day !!!

Not long ago I was involved in Interconnect billing solutions in
Australia, New Zealand and few other regional Telecos. None of them
would even look at a solution that runs on Microsoft purely b'cos of the
scalability, reliability of the platform and the database. I guess
ActewAGL's solution may be okay for regional smaller Telecos, of course
I have not seen the architecture to fully comment on the scalability and
reliability. Would be good to check back in couple of years to see how
many other Telecos have adopted their solution.

However it also seems to me that both Red Hat and Oracle are also to
blame for the move. Small/Medium size companies such as ActewAGL
required professional services support. As they can get frustrated
easily, specially when the development team possibly with a MS
background. We have heard similar stories in the region about Red Hat
support/professional services. This is not a good news for Open Source,
they need to re-think about their strategies.

> I particularly like the small accounting firm example.  8 staff and 12
> PCs - looks like an upgrade from one version of Windows to another.
> Impressive stuff :)
>
> Also - ActewAGL as a success story?  DMO?  I've worked at DMO, and I
> know a lot of ex-Transact people.  Not sure either organization is one
> I'd look to for an example of how to do IT.
>
> The ActewAGL case study makes for hilarious reading.  Apparently they
> moved back to Windows because they could only find one Linux/Oracle
> developer - mind you that one person was managing to run their entire
> interconnect billing system. Still it was cheaper to re-develop a
> "highly specialized, extremely complex and critical" application than
> hire or train a backup.  Funny stuff.
>
> Anyway apparently a whole 14 businesses (and two of those actually
> multinationals) have chosen Windows over Linux in Australia in the
> last how long?
>
> Cheers,
> Neill
>
> On 11/02/2008, at 3:10 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
>

>> "Listen. And understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be
>> bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or
>> remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are
>> dead."
>>
>> "http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windowsserversystem/getthefacts/default.mspx
>> "
>>
>> -c