[Linux-aus] [clug] And Skynet fights back.

Neill Cox neill at ingenious.com.au
Mon Feb 11 06:05:04 UTC 2008

I particularly like the small accounting firm example.  8 staff and 12
PCs - looks like an upgrade from one version of Windows to another.
Impressive stuff :)

Also - ActewAGL as a success story?  DMO?  I've worked at DMO, and I
know a lot of ex-Transact people.  Not sure either organization is one
I'd look to for an example of how to do IT.

The ActewAGL case study makes for hilarious reading.  Apparently they
moved back to Windows because they could only find one Linux/Oracle
developer - mind you that one person was managing to run their entire
interconnect billing system. Still it was cheaper to re-develop a
"highly specialized, extremely complex and critical" application than
hire or train a backup.  Funny stuff.

Anyway apparently a whole 14 businesses (and two of those actually
multinationals) have chosen Windows over Linux in Australia in the
last how long?

Cheers,
Neill