[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Feb 5 04:50:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:56:40AM +1000, Clinton Roy wrote:
> My only request would be to limit the number of widgets that get sent
> out in the kit. Ideally we'd get a video straight to hard drive hand
> recorder thing, which we could plugin via a usb cable and
> encode/upload to mirror.linux.org.au.

So, I was figuring having the LUGs say what they think will work (within
reason) was the way to go, rather than having the LA council decide;
that way we could see how different cameras/systems work, and at least
avoid annoying people by trying to get them to use a different system
to what they prefer.

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 07:43:41AM -0800, Michael Still wrote:
> From my observations, there is basically a "core group" who do video for
> the LCAs. If that group could be conned into doing the processing,
> perhaps and option would be to fund all the conversion / processing /
> upload facilities for that one group, and then send cameras to the LUGs.

Of course, the other approach would be to just follow the recommendations of
the people who already know how to do this; which would work to. And maybe
that's what individual LUGs would do anyway.

Given the size of digital video stuff, it's probably necessary for the
conversion to be done locally to the LUG, to avoid uploading large raw
data sets. That depends on what "raw" means for the cameras used though.

> The LUGs could record talks, and then post DV tapes to the core group
> for post processing and upload.
> That might be simpler than lots of hardware in lots of places, more
> accountable, and would result in more consistency in the videos uploaded.

OTOH, DV tapes are a PITA to deal with, aiui, and physical mail is a
nuisance too. And keeping the encoding centralised means more work for
some particular bunch of volunteers, and the rest of the country doesn't
learn how to do that processing.

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:41:17AM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I believe the important bit is to make sure the transcoding and upload is
> happening and there is sufficient sys admin support to keep the published
> video content going. Thus, it somehow ties together with the idea of "LUG in
> a box" presented at the AGM.

Right. I don't think we're at the point where we can give people a
pre-packaged encoding solution though, right? Presumably most LUGs have
a member with a box that can transcode a 30m-2h talk within a week or so.

Maybe we could schedule an IRC meetup one weekend a month after the
talks are done, for LUGs (and annodex and lca vidteam and such) to talk
about encoding/uploading problems and work out how to fix any bugs,
or generally smooth out the process?

> BTW: we recently had to purchase a new camera for SLUG and decided to go for
> a Hard Disk recording camera. That avoids the tedious task of recording to
> DVD. Transcoding still has to be done and the JVC that we bought
> unfortunately has a slightly proprietary MPEG format, so it took some
> trickery to get it to work. But it's a much easier lot of equipment to
> purchase. The camera cost $1530 plus you will need a decent tripod for min
> $300.

Hrm, camerastore.com.au (first google hit I found) has a JVC Everio
40GB GZ-MG575 for $1200, with apparently a 5 megapixel CCD and 9h40m
recording time at max quality.

    http://www.camerastore.com.au/JVC+Everio+40gb+HDD+GZ%2DMG575_details.htm

Also, adding Mikal's idea of essentially putting these onto a blog, and thus
vidcast, this more or less creates Tux TV ;)

If we set a limit of $1500 or $2000 per LUG, we could do at least six
to eight LUGs with a budget of, say, $12,000; more if some LUGs could
do things cheaper.

I guess it's also be possible to have the equipment shared within a
city/area; so HUMBUG could use it to tape a talk at a meeting on Saturday,
and BrisPy could tape their meeting on Wednesday, or similar.

Cheers,
aj