[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:41:17 UTC 2008

Hi AJ,

The idea is a good one and was already mentioned last year, though it didn't
spark much interest from LUGs.

I believe the important bit is to make sure the transcoding and upload is
happening and there is sufficient sys admin support to keep the published
video content going. Thus, it somehow ties together with the idea of "LUG in
a box" presented at the AGM.

BTW: we recently had to purchase a new camera for SLUG and decided to go for
a Hard Disk recording camera. That avoids the tedious task of recording to
DVD. Transcoding still has to be done and the JVC that we bought
unfortunately has a slightly proprietary MPEG format, so it took some
trickery to get it to work. But it's a much easier lot of equipment to
purchase. The camera cost $1530 plus you will need a decent tripod for min
$300.

It's getting a lot easier to do recordings these days, so I am all in favor
of encouraging the upload and publication of video. Just stick to open
formats - in particular Ogg Theora!

Just my 2c fwiw.

Cheers,
Silvia.