[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] [Fwd: Re: 2020 summit - does open-source software have a place at the table?]

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Mon Feb 4 09:03:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:55:50PM +1100, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> I can think of a several people who are members of OSIA or LA who I
> think would make a great contribution at the summit. However, note from
> the article:
>   "People would not be invited to attend as representatives of
>    organisations or interest groups but in their own capacity as
>    individuals selected on the basis of merit and achievement."

Given that, maybe "LA" should approach contributing to the summit
more along the lines of:

  - helping Linux/open source community folks participate, eg covering
    travel/accom/food/etc costs that the government doesn't, or helping
    participants prepare for the summit or similar

  - providing tech resources to participants; such as setting up
    wikis, recording sessions and getting them up on the web, etc so
    that it's transparent, effective, and public in all the ways it's
    meant to be

> So whilst it would be useful to find out the procedure for
> how people are chosen to get the people that we think would
> be good to be considered, it looks like it would not be appropriate
> for OSIA or LA to be suggesting people to represent their interests.

Beyond that, it may still be useful for LA to support particular
candidates though, in the form of friendly recommendations like "J. Random
has been involved in the Linux community for 42 months, and has extensive
knowledge in the area of Widgets. We believe this is a relevant factor
in the future of Australia, and believe J. Random would be an excellent
and constructive member of the panel."

Cheers,
aj